Friday, November 8, 2013

#OLCBreneCourse 

Hello! This is the third week with Brene Brown's book, "The Gifts of Imperfection." This week we are talking about "letting go of perfectionism" and self-compassion: "Talking to ourselves the way we would talk to others."

Our creative journal entry for the week was to find a few pictures of yourself, when you could have used some encouragement. For each photo, think about what kind, loving and compassionate reassurances would you go back and whisper to yourself.  

Here is mine...

                *You are beautiful *You are loved *You are enough *You are a conqueror Michelle!





*This photo (white shirt) was when I just turned 13. I was very self conscious about some things. I was starting to get ridiculed from kids a lot at school. I was feeling very alone. My family and I were in the process of moving across the country, I was leaving my friends behind. It was a scary time of leaving "being a kid" and entering into "becoming a teenager."


*The next picture (black shirt) I was 19 and had just graduated from high school. I was feeling really unsure of who I was and very self conscious for being so skinny. I haven't had a boyfriend yet and felt that guys just didn't like me. I had just endured a year of guys at school telling me that they thought I was too skinny and they "like women with meat on their bones." I couldn't gain weight for the life of me and felt ugly and awkward. 



This next picture was when I was 24. I was in the process of ending a relationship that had gone on for far too long. I was so afraid to let it go because my identity was wrapped up in it. It wasn't about him,   it was about me. I had no idea who I was and it meant that I was going to have to face that.  I was depressed, sick, scared and hurting (but putting on a smile to look good on the outside.) Being rejected really confirmed in me at that time that I wasn't enough and unloved. I had ran out of hope. 


"Michelle- If you only knew what was in store for you...there's something much, much better. You are so beautiful and talented and worth so much! Just because someone isn't capable of loving you, doesn't mean you are unlovable. You are enough. Right now."

Sometimes we can be scared of our own light. I finally came out of it, and so glad I did! I found that I was what I thought I was seeing in him. I already had all that (fun,light,creativeness,passion) that I just forgot how to tap into. It took awhile to see it and get there...but I did it.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment